Friday, January 6, 2012

Letters to My Dad, Part 2

** This letter was written to my Dad and placed in a notebook with letters from other family members back in 2009 for my Dad's 60th birthday **
Dear Daddy,
I don’t know that words could ever adequately express my love for you and the immense gratitude I have for you as my Father.  Hopefully I can share a few of the things that I have appreciated and the fun Memories you have helped create for me. But I do know that I strive everyday to express my love and gratitude through the person I have become and to make you proud to be my Dad.
My most abundant memories of you and of our family involve work.  From an early age I was taught the value of work, first from you as the provider.  You sacrificed so much of your time, and of yourself to work and provide for us.  I feel like we as your children were taught something many kids are not, and that is the true value of work.  You taught through work, that we take care of each other, and help the family out.  As much as we all complained about getting up and cleaning, or doing the newspaper route, or just doing chores at home… those experiences are very dear to me, some of my most happy times with you and my siblings.  Here are just a few I can remember:
·        Robert stamping me with the REJECT stamp while cleaning the radiation office (not to mention him shutting the door while I was in the radiation room)
·        Amy, Andy and I locking ourselves out of the ReMax building and walking home together
·        Listening to you and Andy snore when we pulled over to take naps in between jobs
·        Singing with Mel as we threw the paper route. 

It was because of these experiences that we all became friends with each other.  And there’s no better gift than that.  You taught me how important it was to work, that work brought opportunity.  When I wanted things that were extra or luxury, you helped me find a way to do it.  I remember cleaning the pool on river road (that filter was always so gross) to earn enough money to buy the things at Sea World I wanted, or to go to Academy for Girls.

You taught me to give to the Lord. I’ll never forget the yellow box with the blue book.  You taught me to serve when you took the time to buy flowers on Mother’s Day for your female employees at Chapman.  Most importantly you taught me that I was loved.  You took what little time away from work you had to spend it with me.  I remember the many adventures you, Andy and I took.  We loved being with you whether at the zoo or dropping the boy scouts off at camp and then taking our sweet time driving home.  Fondly I look back at my time raising and showing “Star.”  That was something you and I had, just the two of us.  I will never forget that! 

You instilled in me a love for the mountains and for creation.  I know you find the solace and rejuvenation in the wilderness that I do.  I’m so happy that you took us out camping and exploring.  That was the foundation for what has become my passion!

I’m grateful to you for always being willing and able to give me Father’s Blessings.  Those were the best starts to the school year.  And as I’ve gotten older and understood their significance and effect on my life, I have appreciated them even more.  I have many that I have written down what I could remember soon after, and used them to help guide me over and over.  Thank You for showing me the importance of having a worthy priesthood holder in my own home.  Your advice and wisdom, your concern for my happiness and well being will always be appreciated.

Dad, I have always been proud of you.  I have always thought I had a cool Dad and wanted to share you with my friends.  I was so happy to see so many of my friends (especially the boys in Oak City) look up to you and respect you as I did.  I can only wish for my children the happy life that you created for me, and a Father as loving and faithful as you are.

With all my love,
Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment