Sunday, June 24, 2012

1st Annual David Smith Memorial Uinta Trip

I really wanted to start our annual trip this year.  I had thought we'd go for a few days in July, but as my summer plans changed and I got a job in Arizona it became apparent that a trip in July wasn't really feasible.  So I propsed at the last minute to my little brother a quick over night trip in June right before I move.  He was game, and so was my brother Mike.

We packed up what camping gear we could find, loaded up the cars and headed off for a night in the Uinta's.  I've never stayed the night here.  It's amazing.  The stars are magnificent.

3 of my nephews came along with us.  As soon as we claimed a spot, we headed to the lake (Mirror Lake) and spent a few hours fishing and playing in the water.  It was gloriously warm and sunny.  Water has a power of it's own.

We then came back to camp, changed in to dry warm clothes, started a fire and roasted hotdogs and marshmellows.  The boys thought the fire would burn them.  They then spent the rest of their time killing "spiders."  Finally when the sun set and it was getting dark, we sat around the fire.

All the boys (big and little) are sleeping now.  I'm sitting by the fire, thinking of my Dad.  He would have loved to be here with his sons and grandsons.  I can picture him sitting on his camp chair by the lake watching them play.  He'd be so proud as he watched his own sons with their sons.  My brothers did note that he would be dissappointed in our food choices (it was last minute and we didn't want to bring all the gear to wash dishes).  But don't worry Dad, I'm sleeping in your mummy bag on a blue tarp tonight.  I think you'd be happy about that.

I hope to make this an annual thing... and for longer than one night.  Some years I hope to backpack into his favorite lake (Allen Lake) sans Llamas however.  But for now, I'm happy I got to go before I move.  I'm really happy to share this experience with two of my brothers and their boys.  And with my Dad.  He's always around.
This is what the first Annual David Smith Memorial Uinta Trip looked like....

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! What a great idea. I'm sure your dad was there as well :) Close by watching all of you enjoy the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete